Monday, 16 April 2018

Music Video - Making of the Monster


Making of the Monster


Here is a video of the sped up process of the making of the monster costume. The entire process took a few hours out of each day for about a week, this included; buying all of the materials, planning what I wanted it to look like and actually making the mask/arms/shoes. I wanted to record the task of creating the costume because it was a good way of documenting the timeline of our music video production. Having the costume look good is important for us because it helps to motivate us and be confident in our work. I enjoyed making the mask but if I had the chance to do it again, I would focus more on the back of the mask and making it more structured so that it sat on emily's face a bit more realistically. I would have also used gloves as the hands instead of making them from scratch and having to paint the fingers. If we had a larger budget to spend on materials and more time to spend on the construction of this costume there are a few things that I would personally like to change. Firstly I would make/buy a stronger foundation to build the mask on top on, the brown face mask that was used is flimsy and only has a thin, weak elastic strap to hold it to a face. I would have liked it if this mask was stronger (or given extra time I would have reinforced the strap this something thicker. If the mask was more sturdy then it would fit onto Emily's face more suitable and therefore look more realistic. I would have also put more thought into placement of eyes/nose/mouth and make breathing/seeing holes for Emily. Because the mask does not have holes, it is very difficult for Emily to navigate around spaces and being under the mask for too long makes her short of breath. I defiantly would have changed this and given the mask better wearability as this would have aided us in the time consuming filming process and made acting easier for Emily. With the shoes I would have liked to have more time to secure the fabric on better or even make toes to fit on the end to make them more gruesome looking. I liked how the arms/ hands came out as they are practical and tie in with the whole 'homemade/quirky' aesthetic we want to achieve. 

Here are some of the materials that were used for the construction of the costume. Some of the materials I already had at home, such as the fake teeth and some brown tights that I used as hands. Everything else was bought from charity shops and sewing shops in nuneaton and the total cost of it was was around £8 each.

These teeth I already owned from when I made a 'tooth fairy' costume for halloween 2016

This scarf was charity shop bought and I liked it because of the different browns that are used, I think that this will be useful in making the costume look more realistic. 

I also picked up a meter of dark brown furry fabric with the plan of making the arms, face and feet out of it. This fabric was the most used in the costume and was very fitting with what I pictured the final product to look like.

I picked up two different brown coloured yarn with the plan of making pom poms to sew onto random parts of the costume to make it look like the monster is dirty or mouldy. It would also add more texture to the costume and give it more depth.

Here is a picture of how the feet turned out, while they are not what I pictured they would turn out like, they are still practical and look good. We bought brown shoes that were furry in the inside for £1 from a charity shop and covered them in more fur. This was a quick process but given more time I would have made toes on the end and sewed pom poms all over them.

 Before we actually bought anything myself and Leah went around town to scout out materials that we might find useful for the costume.  We found a lot of fabrics and clothes that we could use but decided not to because they were either too expensive or the not quite right for what we wanted. We felt that it was still a good idea to tae pictures as evidence of the items so that if we needed more materials or were stuck for ideas, we knew where we could go to find fabrics that could work.









No comments:

Post a Comment