Editing
Before editing we decided that to optimise organisation we it would be a good idea to label all of the clips that we have gathered and label the bins they were in on Premiere Pro. By labelling the thumbnails with brief descriptions of what the clip contains I was then able to easily and quickly sift through all of the footage and decide what would fit best in the final edit. This made the editing process much more productive as I was able to read the brief descriptions attached to the clip and know what it contained without having to watch it.
Leah also organised the footage from both her SD card and Emily's SD card and put them into separate folders, then with mine and Emily's help we deleted the clips deemed useless and archived those that would be suitable for the music video.
While the editing process was enjoyable for the most part, I did run into a few obstacles as I am still a little bit shaky with the Premier Pro soft wear. One issue that I met a few times was clips going missing due to them being 'unlinked' to the programme. I eventually figured out that this was due to the fact that I was moving clips around into different documents and it was therefore effecting them in Premier Pro. To overcome this problem I searched and watched a few youtube tutorials of editing experts explaining how to relink media that have gone missing from your timeline. I have linked one of the helpful tutorials I used below as a reference.
Something else that I found tedious while editing was caused by how short the song we are using is. The song is 3 minutes long which is not a huge amount of time to tell a whole story in. I found that we overestimated the amount of time we had to squeeze all of our footage in which consequently left me struggling to fit in scenes that we felt were funny and valuable to the narrative. Although I did have to scrap a fair amount of filming to keep the piece in the constrains of a strict time limit, I did find that altering the speed duration of clips to 125% or 150% instead of 100% did make the clips shorter meaning that more could be put in.
Overall I enjoyed editing and seeing and idea come to life! There was not any overly complicated techniques used to create this film, simply editing to the beat of the song and changing the duration of a few clips. Other than this my job was pretty straight forward and all I really had to do was cut clios then place them in chronological order. I was also able to keep my team members up to date with each stage I was on via our group chat. Every time a new sequence was added to the final piece I would video it and send it to my group to keep everyone on the same page and focused on the consensus of producing a solid piece of work that we were all proud of.
EDL - Editing Decision List
- 0:00-0:02 - black screen
- 0:02-0:04 - as the song begins, cut to a birdseye view of monster in bed
- 0:04-0:07 - close up of hand turning the alarm off
- 0:07-0:08 - mid shot of the monster sitting up
- 0:08-010 - mid shot, monster takes eye mask off and lies back down
- 0:10-0:13 - mid shot of the monster's feet as he gets out of bed
- 0:13-0:16 - forward tracking shot of monster walking to the bathroom
- 0:16-0:19 - close up of hands grabbing toothbrush and toothpaste
- 0:19-0:21 - over the shoulder shot of monster brushing teeth
- 0:21-0:22 - close up of the toothbrush being washed under the tap
- 0:22-0:27 - zoom out of the monster opening the wardrobe
- 0:27-0:29 - over the shoulder shot of the monster looking in the wardrobe
- 0:29-0:30 - close up of monster's face
- 0:30-0:31 - long shot of monster in the mirror
- 0:31-0:32 - " " monster changes outfit
- 0:32-0:33 - " " monster changes outfit
- 0:33-0:37 - long shot looking through the mirror, monster shrugs and walks out
This marks the end of the first chorus and the start of the first verse.


No comments:
Post a Comment