New Wave Brief
Due to the fact that I have been studying the American new wave movement and focussing on the 70s era, my own new wave film will emulate some of the key techniques used in the films created at this time. The thing that enables a film to fit into the American new wave mould is the fact that it will refuse the conventional techniques used in mainstream films. This means moving away from typical and over used framing like the two shot and the mid shots. In new wave cinema no rules applied and the director is seen as an artist that's creating their vision through the medium of film. It is these key aspects of new wave cinema that I want to focus on when producing my own film as I feel that they are the most significant.
For my own new wave I want to focus on showing emotion in alternative ways. I have been focusing a lot of my research on the American new wave and more specifically the work of Hal Ashby who had a skill for portraying emotion in ways other than the traditional close up. I plan to incorporate alternative framing and angles in moments of intense emotion. For example Hal Ashby famously uses long shots for this and captures characters walking away to signify an ending. I want to also experiment my self with how different angles and frames can, I think it will be interesting to see an conversation play out but with the camera pointed at the back of people's heads.

No comments:
Post a Comment